All text must be “title safe” (live inside a 10% border) to prevent information being cut off when monitors overscan.
All colours and gamut must be broadcast-legal (between an IRE value of 0-100IREs).
Reference: UBC Brand – Digital Signage – Design Guidelines
- The Communication and Design Guidelines for Digital Signage should be considered when creating visual elements for video.
- A semi-transparent block of UBC Grey is placed behind the title to improve readability of the text, and spans the entire width of the screen.
- The hex code for UBC Grey is #2F5D7C, or R47 G93 B124.
- The block is set to the “multiply” effect with a 70% opacity, which can be adjusted depending on the colour levels of the footage.
Size of Title Block
The width of the block matches the dimension of the 16:9 aspect ratio, so either 1920w x (1080h) or 1280w x (720h).
1920 x 1080 Dimension
- For the 1920 x 1080 dimension, the height of the block is 200 px.
- The left margin is 175 px and the bottom margin is 75 px to keep text within the title-safe area.
- Point size of the text for 1920 is 10 PT with tracking set to 40 and leading of 12.
1280 x 720 Dimension
- For the 1280 x 720 dimension, the height of the block is 135 px.
- The left margin is 125 px and the bottom margin is 50 px to keep text within the title-safe area.
- Point size of the text for 1920 is 6.67 PT with tracking set to 15 and leading of 8.
- Be aware that video controls (and advertising) at the bottom of the viewing area can obstruct titles. Consider using the upper region of the lower third.
- Whitney is the institutional typeface of the UBC Brand. UBC units and video contractors can purchase a license for Whitney.
- Arial is the substitute typeface.
Interviewee Names and Titles
- Set the interviewee’s name in Whitney Bold 10 pt with a tracking of 25 and a leading of 12 between the two lines of type.
- The interviewee’s title and other associations are set in Whitney Medium on a line below the name. (see example above)
Alignments and Grid
- Follow the rule of thirds.
End Strings: The UBC a place of mind end tail plays for the final three seconds of all videos for external audiences. No additions or edits can be made to the end string. Units may purchase a unit-specific end string based on their UBC Brand Unit Signatures via IT Creative Services.