All UBC staff and faculty are encouraged to include a UBC brand email signature in their electronic communications. The email signature is designed to deliver brand consistency electronically across university faculties, departments and offices to our internal and external audiences. Consistency in design, colour, and type is important to reinforce the university’s identity.
Because of the wide variety of desktop and web browser email programs, a consistent signature can be difficult to achieve. The following guidelines will help you to decide what is and is not appropriate:
- Please use the typeface provided in the email signature template. Non-standard typefaces and HTML may not translate well across all email programs.
- Use white as the background colour (generally the default). Avoid using any graphics, colours, or backgrounds other than those specified below.
- If you are going to include the image of the UBC Full Signature, only use it as outlined below.
- Refrain from including quotations or other philosophical statements.
- Make it easy for people to contact you by providing clickable links to URLs and emails.
- Only include your UBC-related phone numbers, emails, websites, and social media accounts.
- If you wish to include URLs for your unit’s social media channels, along with your unit’s website, just list the URL without the logos/icons for the various channels.
- Please review the UBC Brand Email Signature Specifications for full details on the format of the signatures.
The UBC Brand Email Signature is designed to deliver brand consistency electronically across university faculties, departments and offices to our internal and external audiences.
The text size for the UBC Brand Email Signatures is set in 9pt. The text can be adjusted to the three standards sizes: 8pt, 9pt or 10pt.
Important notes on resizing:
When resizing the signatures to either 8pt, 9pt or 10pt, be sure to select all the elements (text and UBC Full Signature) to scale the entire unit proportionally.
UBC Brand Internal Email Signature (short version)
- This shorter version is most appropriate for internal email recipients
- Use for all internal email exchanges among UBC colleagues
- Use on repeat or multiple interactions with project teams, client interactions, etc.
First Name Last Name Credentials
Title 1, Title 2 | Faculty or Unit | Department or Office
The University of British Columbia | Campus or Site Location
Phone 604 822 1234 | Cell 778 123 4567
UBC Brand External Email Signature (long version)
- This longer version is most appropriate for external email recipients
- Use for all external email messages going to the community, donors, government, vendors, partners, and other Universities or external entities on behalf of UBC
- Use on initial correspondence with project teams, client interactions, etc.
External email signatures with sub-identity
- Sub-Identity logotype placed below the UBC Full Signature after two full returns.
- Copy and paste the email signature you choose into your email program’s signature tool for all outgoing messages.
- Please review the UBC Brand Email Signature Specifications before copying and pasting the signature into your email program’s signature tool.
- Add and edit your name, title, website, email, faculty/unit, and contact information as formatted in the template. If located in the Okanagan, add your office number before your address. Delete any fields that do not apply.
- Edit your website and email addresses in your email program’s signature tool. Be sure to test your hyperlinks for your websites and Email addresses.
- You have the option to create both an internal and external version of your signature, or just one if that suits your needs.
- To create two different email signatures (Internal and External), you need to create a ‘new’ signature twice and name each accordingly. Select the email signature of your choice as your default signature.
If using a disclaimer in your email signature, the text should be:
- Arial Italics
- Size set at 9pt
- The same colour choice as your email signature.
Sample Sustainability Disclaimer:
Think of the environment before printing this email.
Sample Confidentiality Disclaimer:
The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments (collectively “message”) is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient (or recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.